Mongre aur Kaddu ki Sabzi

Mongre aur Kaddu ki Sabzi

(Radish Pods with Pumpkin)

A friend came visiting from the North and got me bag full of really fresh mongre (radish pods). I have been using them mostly in salads because they are really crisp and add a nice bite, and in daal for the flavour. But today I used up the last of the lot to make a simple sabzi with pumpkin.
I have had mongre after decades. As a kid they grew in abundance at my nani’s and all of us children hated them with a passion, perhaps because of their strong flavour. I quite enjoyed the flavour now.


Ingredients:
1 cup roughly torn mongre
1/3 cup pumpkin, diced small
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp roasted peanuts, crushed
A pinch of turmeric
1 tbsp mustard oil
Salt and chilli pwd to taste
A squeeze of lemon
Method:
Heat oil in a wok and add the mustard and cumin. When they splutter, add the mongre and stir well. Add pumpkin, salt, turmeric and chili. Mix once and cover and let them cook in their own juices over low heat. Once the pumpkin is cooked, take off the stove and stir in the peanuts. Squeeze some lemon on top. The lemon is just to give a hint of flavour and not to make it sour. The mongre have a peppery flavour, the pumpkin adds sweetness so I added the lemon for balance.
Enjoy with phulkas

Comments